Many people get green cards (become permanent residents) through family members. You may be eligible to get a green card as:

  • An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, including if you are a spouse, an unmarried child under the age of 21, or a parent of a U.S. citizen child 21 or older;

  • A family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference category, including if you are an unmarried child over the age of 21, a married child of any age, or a sibling of a U.S. citizen petitioner 21 or older;

  • A family member of a green card holder, including if you are a spouse or an unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder; or

  •  A member of a special category, including if you are a battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K non-immigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V non-immigrant, or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen.


Naturalization is the process laid out by the United States government, which allows foreign citizens or nationals to obtain U.S. citizenship providing they meet the requirements established in the Immigration and Nationality Act. There is a very exact, detailed, and often times complex procedure an individual must go through in order to obtain U.S. citizenship through naturalization. We recommend you hire an experienced immigration lawyer to help you navigate through the entire naturalization process to become a U.S. citizen.